Saturday, September 5, 2009

First Month In India

Shoma - my live in who helps with the cooking and cleaning and just keeps my life in order. My office have grown to love the cakes that she makes them and I appreciate all of the little things she does for me on a daily basis. I work UK hours (10:30 - 8:30) so sometimes things get a bit busy, but Shoma is always there with a smile on her face when I arrive home.













On August 2nd, 2009 I moved for a year to Gurgaon, India - a small city twenty minutes outside of Delhi (on a good day). India has the second largest population in the world (2nd to China) and seventh in terms of size. It landscape is diverse with the himilayas in the north to the tropical southern peninisulas including some of the biggest beaches in the world. It is a country of opportunity, paradoxes and signficant contradictions.
My "look and see visit" was at the end of June and the India I am seeing today is a bit different then the India I saw during my first two weeks whilst I was out here with my colleague Debbie Wates (what - do you mean there is life beyond the 5 star Hotels, spas and pools? Send me back to England!).
After looking at ten flats, I choose a 3 bedroom flat with plenty of room for guests and entertaining company in the middle of Gurgaon. I have a wonderful driver in Balwant and a live in maid called Shoma. Both have been so key for me in this transition to a country that is extremely poor, very very hot, has horrific challenges with infrastructure and pollution (electricity goes off about ten times a day at a minimum) and takes alot of getting used too!. Shoma is a wonderful cook and Balwants understands that Kerry five minutes actually means ten so our relationship is beautiful. Each day brings a new insight into the culture and life in India.






No comments:

Post a Comment