Sunday, November 8, 2009

Weekend away to Goa

I took a half of day on Friday 30th of October and flew down to Goa for a long weekend (2.5 hour flight). Goa is distinct because of its beautiful beaches and colonial past.
It was inhabited by the Portuguese until 1961 and the Portuguese influence in architecture, religion, language, music and even food are still evident.
My colleague's husband booked me into The Kempinski Leela and it was truly an indulgent weekend.



This was the view from my room...I spent allot time reading on the deck and watching the birds, although at night the mosquitos were treacherous!



Elephants, elephants and more elephants!!! KAM in the outdoor hotel lobby before her island tour.


Here is the real thing!!!


Local Indian women doing a traditional dance....

Whilst I was walking through the village streets - local man offered me some fruit.
I had to pass on it (if I want to live another year), although it was tempting!



One of the many Catholic Churches I visited on the hot sunday - this one being a world heritage site.  The body of St. Francis of Xavier (1501-1522) lies in this large Cathedral in Old Goa. After he died, his body was dug out 3 months later with little signs of decay. It was thereafter declared a miracle and he was canonized as a Saint. Every 10 years the body is put on display for all to see (put 2014 in your diary?).



I visited a large temple - The Shri Mahalsa Temple - and on the streets flowers were sold to be placed at the altar. Of course I bought flowers from all of the above old women.  When I placed them on the altar, the local elder told me that I would find love in February. Good news but he did not say February of what year? ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment